Sprouted green lentils curry packed full of nutrition made in the instant pot or stovetop. Mung bean sprouts cooked in an onion-tomato sauce with ginger, garlic, and aromatic spices. This curry goes perfectly with roti, paratha or rice.
This tasty curry is made from sprouted mung beans. I recently shared how to sprout lentils in the instant pot. So I wanted to share our favorite way to use those sprouted lentils. It is best to have sprouted lentils on hand, so that you can whip up this easy curry anytime.
You can make sprouted lentil curry as a dry stir fry or as a soup. The picture above shows the soupy version. You can also add veggies such as carrots, celery and spinach to make it a sprouted lentil stew.
Including sprouts in your weekly diet is great, as they are nutrient dense and easy to digest. This sprouts curry is a great variation to the green moong dal recipe.
This exact same recipe will work with Moth (Turkish Gram) or Masoor (Brown Lentils) sprouts too.
I have included instructions to make this Sprouts Curry in the instant pot, stovetop pressure cooker and in a saucepan.
How to make Sprouts Curry in the Instant Pot?
- Heat oil in the Instant pot and add cumin seeds. Let them sizzle a bit.
- Then add the onions, ginger and garlic. Fry them till the onions become golden brown in color.
- Then add the tomatoes and spices. Stir them well.
- Add the sprouted lentils and water to the pot and place the lid with vent in sealing position.
- Press cancel and set the Instant pot to high pressure for 2 minutes.
- Let the pressure release naturally. Then open the pot and add some lime juice to the sprouted moong curry. Stir well.
- Garnish it with fresh cilantro and serve hot with roti, paratha or rice.
How to make Sprouts Curry on the stovetop?
Follow the same steps as above for stovetop pressure cooker. Cook on high pressure for 2 whistles and let the pressure release naturally.
You can also make this sprouted moong bean curry in a saucepan on stovetop. Follow the same steps as above, add the sprouts and water to the saucepan. Cover with a lid and cook until the sprouted lentils soften. This will take about 15-20 minutes. Stir the curry at regular intervals.
How to make Sprouts Sabzi?
You can also make sprouted lentils as a dry stir fry (subzi), add just 1 cup of water when cooking. The water will get all soaked and the sprouts will be well cooked.
When this sprouts stir fry is made with moth beans and cooked with grated coconut, it is called Matki Usal in Marathi.
This sprouts stir fry is great to enjoy as a salad or snack. It is also great to pack as lunch along with roti or paratha.
Add a raita on the side along with this sprouts curry.
Enjoy this nutritious and easy to make Sprouts Curry!
- 1 tbsp Ghee or Oil
- 1 teaspoon Cumin seeds (Jeera)
- 1 Green Chili Pepper* chopped (optional)
- 1 cup Onion diced
- 1 cup Tomato diced
- ½ tablespoon Garlic minced
- ½ tablespoon Ginger grated
- 3 cups Sprouted Moong Dal or sprouted Moth/Masoor
- 2 cup Water
- 1 teaspoon Lime juice or amchur
- Cilantro leaves chopped, to garnish
Instant Pot method
- Start the instant pot in SAUTE mode and heat oil in it. Add cumin seeds, green chili and saute for 30 seconds.
- Add onions, ginger and garlic. Saute for 2-3 minutes until the onions become golden brown.
- Add tomato, spices and stir.
- Add lentils and water. Stir well. Press CANCEL and close the instant pot lid with vent in sealing position.
- Press MANUAL or Pressure Cook mode for 2 minutes. When the instant pot beeps, let the pressure release naturally (NPR).
- Open the lid and add lime juice and cilantro. Stir and sprouted green moong dal is ready to be served.
Stovetop Pressure Cooker Method
- Follow the same steps as above for stovetop pressure cooker. Cook on high pressure for 2 whistles and let the pressure release naturally.
Stovetop Saucepan Method
- Follow the same steps as above, add the sprouts and 3 cups water to the saucepan. Cover with a lid and cook until the sprouted lentils soften. This will take about 15-20 minutes. Stir the curry at regular intervals.
- Enjoy sprouts curry with roti, paratha or rice.
Note: Nutrition values are my best estimates. If you rely on them for your diet, use your preferred nutrition calculator.