Craked Wheat Upma / Bulgar Pilaf / Dalia Pulao made in the instant pot. Bulgur wheat cooked with vegetables, garlic and spices. This is one of our favorites, and a great substitute for rice pulao, that can be cooked in under 30 minutes.
Dalia or Bulgur is popular all over the wheat-consuming regions of North India. It is a kind of dried cracked wheat, which can be consumed as a sweet or savory dish. Here is my recipe for Lapsi, a sweet dish made with dalia.
Dalia has more fiber and protein, a lower glycemic index, and higher levels of most vitamins and minerals. This dish a great alternative to rice pulao, and much more nutritious.
This quick and easy recipe is made in an instant pot, but can be made in a traditional pressure cooker as well.
Instant Pot Bulgur Pilaf Recipe (Dalia Pulao)
- Heat the instant pot in Sauté mode and add oil. Add cumin seeds, whole black pepper and green chillies.
- After they start to splutter, add onions and garlic. Sauté for 2-3 minutes until onions are lightly browned.
- Add tomato, salt and spices. Stir and saute for 2 minutes.
- Add the mixed vegetables and stir well. Add dalia, water and mix well. Scrape of anything stuck to the bottom and deglaze the pot. Close lid with vent in sealing position.
- Change instant pot setting to manual or pressure cook mode at high pressure for 5 minutes.
- When the instant pot beeps, let the pressure release naturally for 10 minutes. The release the pressure manually (10 minutes NPR). Mix the juice of one lemon and garnish with cilantro. Serve hot with yogurt or raita.
- This recipe was created in a 6qt Instant Pot DUO60 Multi-use Pressure Cooker.