Hummus is made from mashed chickpeas (or garbanzo beans), blended with tahini, olive oil, garlic, salt and lemon juice. This is an easy recipe to make Hummus. I used the Instant Pot to boil the dried chickpeas and used the Vitamix blender to make a smooth paste from the ingredients. You will never buy hummus at the store after seeing how easy it is to make.
Hummus is part of Middle Eastern cuisine, but popular all over the world. Chickpeas is the main ingredient for hummus, and contains a good amount of fiber, protein, B vitamins, and manganese. Hummus is most commonly eaten as an appetizer or dip, served with pita bread. It is served an an accompaniment to falafel or grilled chicken or other meat.
How to make Hummus in Instant Pot?
One of the ingredients for hummus is Tahini. See the recipe for tahini here. It has just 2 ingredients – sesame seeds and olive oil – and you could add them directly when blending hummus as well. Another option is to use store bought Tahini. See popular options on Amazon.
This recipe uses the Instant Pot to cook the soaked chickpeas. However you can cook the chickpeas until they get tender in a traditional pressure cooker or slow cooker too. I have made hummus for years, this time in an instant pot. It does help with not having to babysit the chickpeas. The ingredients are simple and you probably have them all available in your home.
★ DID YOU TRY THIS RECIPE? Don’t forget to give a ★ rating. Just click on the stars in the Recipe Card to rate!
Instant Pot Hummus
- Wash and soak dried chickpeas for 4 hours in about 4 cups of water.
- After that, add the chickpeas to the Instant Pot along with the water. Add salt. Start the Instant Pot in Bean/Chili mode, it will automatically set timer to 30 mins.
- When the Instant Pot beeps, quick release the pressure manually. Remove the leftover liquid in a separate bowl, we can add as needed when grinding the chickpeas.
- Transfer the chickpeas to a blender (I used Vitamix) and let them cool down for about 10 minutes.
- Add the other ingredients (tahini, garlic, pepper, chili powder) to the blender. Add 2 tbsp olive oil and juice of one lemon. Blend to a smooth paste. Add water that we kept aside as needed to get a creamy texture (I added about 1 cup).
- Transfer to a bowl and garnish with 1/2 tbsp olive oil and sprinkle some pepper and chili powder.