Lauki Raita is a simple yet refreshing side made with grated bottle gourd and yogurt. It is a healthy side dish to have with biryani, pilaf or any flavored rice. Made within minutes and with simple ingredients, this raita can be served along with curries!
This healthy yogurt side is also called Lauki ka raita or Ghiya raita. It is made from grated lauki (bottle gourd), yogurt and spices.
Bottle gourd is known as Lauki or Doodhi in India and is used in a variety of north and south Indian dishes.
As my mom was visiting recently, she made her delicious and authentic lauki raita for dinner. As this raita is not something you will find in restaurants, I wanted to share the recipe with you. This raita is quite popular in North Indian homes, especially in Punjabi households.
Lauki can be prepared in an Instant pot or stovetop pressure cooker. I used the Instant pot to boil the Lauki for this raita prep. Read on to know the detailed tips to not overcook lauki when making this raita.
What is Raita?
Raita is a side dish famous in the Indian sub-continent as an accompaniment to lunch or dinner. It is made with whisked and creamy yogurt, and often vegetables or fruits and/or spices are added to it. Raita is often compared with Tzatziki, the Greek version of yogurt, but they are distinctively different with few common preparation steps.
Raita helps in cooling the palate after a sumptuous meal. It also aids in the digestive process.
What is Lauki?
Lauki is the Indian name for bottle gourd. It is also known as Dhoodhi is many parts of northern India. Lauki is a versatile vegetable that can be cooked both in savory and sweet recipes.
Health Benefits of Lauki
Lauki has many health benefits and has nutritional properties that are good for the body’s immune system.
- Lauki has a high water content
- It is a rich source of many minerals and vitamins
- It is easily digestible
- It is perfect for keeping your body cool during summers
Lauki and yogurt make a healthy combination and help you curb those cravings while on a diet plan. Yogurt has a good amount of protein and calcium and lauki is high in fiber content. Together, they are a good combination for weight loss.
How to make Lauki Raita?
Many kids and sometimes adults are not a fan of lauki. I never used to eat lauki as a kid, however now, it is a favorite. This creamy and delicious lauki raita will change your mind. if you have not been a fan of lauki till now.
- Wash, peel and grate the lauki. If there are big seeds in the middle, remove them and then grate the lauki.
- Add the grated lauki to the Instant pot along with salt and water and pressure cook.
- If you are using stovetop pressure cooker, cook the lauki for 1 whistle.
- If you are using a saucepan, boil the lauki till it becomes soft and tender. Cover the lid for faster cooking.
- When cooking in Instant pot or stovetop pressure, be sure to release the pressure quickly.
- Strain the lauki immediately using a strainer and keep it under running cold water for a few seconds. This helps to avoid overcooking the lauki.
- Press the lauki between your palms to strain the excess water and keep it aside.
- Whisk the yogurt till it gets smooth and creamy and keep it in a cool temperature
- Add the strained lauki, green chili (optional), along with seasoning to the whisked yogurt and stir well.
- Garnish the cilantro and serve chilled.
Tips to make Perfect Lauki Raita
- Add some grated cucumber to this lauki raita to make it healthier. You can also check out Cucumber Raita recipe.
- You can also add a variety of seasonings like a pinch of black salt, garam masala to this raita to make it more flavorful.
- If you don’t want sliced green chilis, swap them for red chili powder, or skip them completely when serving to kids.
- Use the leftover strained lauki water to prepare dough for rotis or parathas or dals. It helps in adding that extra nutrition to the dish.
What to serve this Lauki ka Raita with?
Lauki Raita (Bottle Gourd Raita)
- 2 cups Bottle Gourd (Lauki), peeled and grated, 1 medium sized lauki
- 1/2 teaspoon Salt , adjust to taste
- 1 cup Water , for cooking
- 3 cups Yogurt, chilled
- 1 Green Chili Pepper, finely diced, optional
- Cilantro leaves, chopped, to garnish
- Peel and grate the lauki. If the seeds in the center of the lauki are large in size, remove them before grating.
Preparing Lauki in pressure cooker
- Add the grated lauki, salt and water to the pressure cooker. Pressure cook for 0 minutes (1 whistle for stovetop pressure cooker or to cook in a saucepan, boil till lauki is tender and cooked. Cover with a lid for faster cooking)
- Quick release the pressure. Immediately strain the water from the lauki using a strainer.
- Keep the strainer under running cold water for 30 seconds, so the lauki does not overcook. Press the lauki between your palms to remove excess water. Keep aside.
Making Lauki Raita
- Whisk the yogurt till it is smooth and creamy.
- Add the grated lauki, green chili and seasoning into the yogurt. Stir well.
- Serve chilled and garnish with cilantro before serving