Couscous & Vegetables Medley made in Instant Pot or Pressure Cooker. You can also call this Vegan Couscous Pilaf. Enjoy this quick and delicious couscous, as a side or salad.
I used Israeli Couscous from Trader Joe’s in this recipe. Isreali Couscous is also called pearl couscous or maftoul. It is larger than traditional couscous, pasta-like pearls made from wheat flour.
I got this from Trader Joe’s store near my house. It is also available on Amazon. However, it is much more expensive there. There are other brands from Amazon that are more reasonable.
This is ready in less than 30 minutes in the pressure cooker. As we are cooking in under pressure, I also reduced the amount of water added to cook it to a 1:1 ratio. You can also replace and use broth for cooking. I used the whole packet, which was about 1 3/4 cups. It readily serves 3-4.
How to make Instant Pot Isreali Couscous Pilaf?
I followed a procedure similar to rice pulao but reduced the spices used. Start with heating the instant pot in sauté mode, and add the bay leaves and onions. Saute for a couple of minutes, and add the veggies of your choice. I added red bell peppers and grated carrots. Add the couscous and water/broth.
Change the instant pot setting to Manual or Pressure Cook mode at high pressure. Set it to just 2 minutes. When the instant pot beeps, do 10 minutes of NPR, which means release the pressure manually after 10 minutes of beeping. If you are using another brand of couscous, I suggest adjusting the cooking time to one-half of the recommended time on the package.
Vegetable Couscous is ready. Garnish with cilantro or parsley, and enjoy it.
Check out other instant pot side dishes:
Instant Pot Couscous & Vegetable Medley
- Heat the instant pot in sauté mode and add olive oil to it.
- Add the bay leaves and onions. Sauté for 2 minutes.
- Add the bell peppers and carrots. Sauté for one more minute.
- Add the couscous, water, garam masala and salt. Stir well.
- Change the instant pot setting to manual mode for 2 minutes.
- When the instant pot beeps, do 10 minutes NPR. This means release the pressure manually 10 minutes after the beep.
- Fluff the couscous, it is fully cooked. Mix in the lemon juice. Garnish with cilantro and serve hot.
- Prepare with vegetables of your choice. I used bell peppers, carrots and onions, which I had at home. Other options are cauliflower, broccoli, edamame and green peas.
- If you like, you can add more spices, I wanted to keep the spices light so my daughter could eat it.