This popular Ayurvedic Haldi Doodh, also known as Golden Turmeric Milk, is a healthy and healing drink. Made with adding turmeric and spices to boiling milk, it is a cup of wellness used to treat the common cold.
Growing up, whenever we have a cold, fever or sore throat, the first thing mom would say was to have turmeric milk before going to bed.
In India, we have been having this Turmeric Milk, called Haldi Doodh (Haldi=Turmeric, Doodh=Milk) for a long time as an easy remedy for common colds. However this has only been recently popularized all over the world as Turmeric Latte.
This delightful and healthy drink is super easy and quick to make. Just mix the ingredients in a saucepan, heat them up and serve it warm. It is considered to be a cup of wellness. To make it vegan, you can use coconut milk or unsweetened almond milk.
It is a great drink to enjoy it with friends, family, and guests especially on those cold winter evenings, similar to this Badam Doodh (Indian Almond Milk).
Table of contents
What is Haldi Doodh or Turmeric Milk?
There are so many ways where turmeric can be utilized, one of the most popular is Haldi doodh. Haldi Doodh is a powerful Ayurvedic Indian drink with medicinal properties also known as golden turmeric milk, golden milk latte, or turmeric latte.
This bright yellow drink is made by warming up milk, turmeric, and some spices. In most households in India, it is a go-to solution when you are suffering from cough and cold.
- Loaded with antioxidants.
- Reduce inflammation and joint pain.
- Protect against heart disease.
- May lower blood sugar level.
- May reduce the risk of cancer.
- Has antibacterial, antiviral, and antifungal properties.
- Great for cough, congestion, colds, and skin problems.
Ingredients for Turmeric Milk
- Milk: You can use milk of your choice. I use whole milk. To make it vegan you can use coconut milk or unsweetened almond milk.
- Turmeric: You can use fresh turmeric or turmeric powder as well.
- Sugar: Instead of sugar you can substitute honey or agave syrup.
- Cardamom: This is totally optional but adding it will add up a wonderful flavor and aroma.
- Black Pepper: Add a pinch of freshly group black pepper.
Let’s start making haldi doodh.
On a medium flame stovetop in a pot, add milk and bring it to a simmer.
Now add turmeric powder, sugar, black pepper and cardamom.
Once the milk comes to a boil, reduce heat to low. Cover and let it simmer for another 5 minutes.
Turn off the gas, strain, and serve it hot.
Optionally, sprinkle some cardamom powder on the top.
Tips to make Perfect Haldi Doodh
- You can use any sweetener of your choice.
- You can top with a few strands of saffron or cinnamon or cardamom powder to enhance the flavor.
- To make it vegan, you can use coconut milk or unsweetened almond milk.
- You can also add freshly grated ginger, and cinnamon stick to the Haldi Doodh. Try and adjust spices according to your taste.
Yes it is. It has calming properties which leads to better sleep.
You can have it any time of the day, it can do miracles to your health.
Yes you can on an empty stomach. It helps to boost your immune system.
Yes you can, once everyday.
Here are some more beverages you might enjoy:
- Masala Chai
- Mango Lassi
- Strawberry Lassi
- Fig Banana Smoothie
- Masala Chaas (Indian Spiced Buttermilk)
Healing Haldi Doodh (Golden Turmeric Milk)
- Add milk to a pot and simmer it on a stovetop on medium flame.
- After the milk comes to a boil, lower the heat. Add turmeric powder, sugar, black pepper and cardamom. Cover and let it simmer for another 5 minutes.
- Turn off the flame. Strain and serve the turmeric milk while it is hot.
- Optionally, sprinkle some cardamom powder.