This easy-to-make Strawberry Lassi is so creamy and refreshing. Made with fresh strawberries, yogurt, milk, and cardamom, it is a perfect cooling summer drink.
This lassi is a variation of the popular strawberry smoothie with added Indian lassi flavors of yogurt and cardamom. It has been a quick treat that my girls enjoy as an afternoon snack.
There are so many variations of lassi throughout India. The most popular and on the top list all over the world is Mango Lassi and Strawberry Lassi. Just perfect to enjoy it in the summer when the fruits are in season.
If you want to try the authentic traditional North Indian version of lassi, try my Sweet Lassi recipe.
What is Lassi?
It is basically a yogurt-based drink that originated in the Indian subcontinent. It is typically a blend of yogurt, water or milk, spices, and sometimes fruit.
Earlier it was made with a wooden churner or whisk in a large pot. Nowadays people prefer to make it in a blender as the churning process takes a long time.
What is Strawberry Lassi?
Strawberry lassi is a variation of popular Indian yogurt drink, made with a blend of yogurt, milk, strawberries, and cardamom. It can also be called a strawberry yogurt drink. It is a perfect treat for the whole family.
Strawberries are packed with vitamins, fiber and lots of antioxidants, so this is a great snack or breakfast smoothie for kids. Yogurt is also great source of probiotics and helps boost the immune system.
How to make Strawberry Lassi?
Ingredients you’ll need:
- Strawberries: You can use fresh or frozen in this recipe. Try to pick bright red strawberries, and not the light-colored, soft, or black spot strawberries.
- Yogurt: It is the main ingredient of the drink. I make yogurt in Instant pot. It is easily available in grocery stores as well. I prefer to use whole milk yogurt. You can also use almond milk yogurt to make this lassi vegan.
- Milk: It will give the right consistency to this lassi. You can use your favorite whole, low-fat, or 2% milk. If you prefer, you can also use cold water in place of milk or a vegan milk option.
- Sweetener: Traditionally sugar is used to sweeten strawberry lassi, however, you can substitute it with honey or agave too.
- Spices: Optionally add a pinch of ground cardamom or cinnamon to the lassi.
Let’s start making strawberry lassi:
Wash and slice off the green leafy top. Cut the strawberries into pieces.
I used fresh strawberries to make this lassi. You can use frozen strawberries too.
Add all the ingredients – strawberries, yogurt, milk, sugar, and cardamom powder – to a blender.
Blend them until it becomes frothy. Adjust the consistency to your taste by adding more milk or water.
Pour lassi in serving glasses. Garnish it with strawberry pieces or some saffron strands. Serve immediately.
Tips for Perfect Lassi
- Strawberries: You can use fresh or frozen strawberries. Try not to pick light-colored, soft, or black spot strawberries. If you are planning ahead keep the strawberries in the refrigerator so they are cold for the lassi.
- Yogurt: If using greek yogurt, use 3/4 cup of greek yogurt and add more milk or water to adjust the consistency according to your taste.
- Vegan: Use almond milk yogurt and almond milk to make it vegan.
- Consistency: You can adjust the consistency of the lassi by adding cold milk or water. You can add a few ice cubes to the lassi to cool it down.
- Storing: This lassi can be refrigerated for up to a day. I prefer to make it just before serving. It takes only a minute to get ready once you have the ingredients prepared.
- Serving: You can also serve this lassi topped with a scoop of vanilla or strawberry ice cream to make it a dessert.
Yes, you can refrigerate it upto 24 hours. I prefer to make it just before serving. It takes only a minute to get ready once you have the ingredients prepared.
Yes, use almond milk yogurt to make it vegan.
Yes, you can. If using greek yogurt, use 3/4 cup of greek yogurt and add more milk or water to adjust the consistency according to your taste.
Here are some more beverages you might enjoy:
Refreshing Strawberry Lassi
- Wash the strawberries and dry them wth a towel paper. Then chop the top green leafy part and cut them into pieces. (You can also use frozen strawberries)
- Add all the ingredients – strawberries, yogurt, milk, sugar, and cardamom powder – to a blender.
- Blend them until it becomes frothy. Adjust the consistency to your taste by adding additional milk or water.
- Pour lassi in serving glasses. Garnish it with strawberry pieces and serve immediately.