This popular homemade sweet lassi is a refreshing, creamy, and cooling drink for summer. Made with a blend of yogurt, sugar and cardamom, it perfectly complements the spices in Indian food.
This simple homemade sweet lassi is very popular not only in North Indian households but also all over India. You will find it served at restaurants and also street side dhaba's which it is the best.
In North Indian states such as Punjab, it is served in tall metal glasses with a splash of cream (malai) on the top. That is the best!!
What is Lassi?
It is basically a yogurt-based drink that originated in the Indian subcontinent. It is typically a blend of yogurt (curd), water or milk, spices, and sometimes fruit.
Earlier it was made with a wooden churner or whisk in a large pot. Nowadays people prefer to make it in a blender as the churning process takes a longer time to make it.
As Lassi is a yogurt based drink, it has numerous health benefits:
- Aids digestion
- Prevents stomach problems
- Great source of probiotics
- Boosts immune system
- Good for skin
Different Variations of Lassi
- Rose Lassi - It is made with fresh yogurt, rose petals, and rose syrup.
- Banana Lassi - Made with simply blending banana, yogurt, sugar, and milk.
- Pineapple Lassi, Peach Lassi, Mint Lassi - Made with same ingredients sugar, milk, yogurt - Just change the fruit to make it a new and different variation.
How to make Sweet Lassi
Ingredients you'll need:
- Yogurt: It is the main ingredient of the drink. I make yogurt in Instant pot. It is easily available in grocery stores as well. I prefer to use whole milk yogurt.
- Milk and/or Chilled water: Choose depending on the taste of the yogurt. If it is too sour, use chilled milk. If not, then chilled water works great.
- Ice cubes
- Sugar: Traditionally raw cane sugar is used. But feel free to try your preferred choice of sweetener.
- Cardamom powder: It adds a unique minty, spicy and earthy flavor to the lassi.
- Garnish: Pistachio or dried rose petals
Let's start making lassi.
- Add all the ingredients yogurt, chilled water, milk, ice cubes, sugar, and cardamom powder in a blender. Tip: You can choose to use milk or water depending on the sourness of the yogurt.
- Blend them until it becomes frothy.
- Adjust the consistency to your taste by adding water or blend in some ice cubes.
- Pour lassi in serving glasses. Garnish with pistachio/dried rose petals.
- Keep it chilled before serving.
Tips for Perfect Lassi
- Use fresh and chilled homemade yogurt.
- Since lassi has a thick consistency, keep a check on the amount of water and milk you add.
- I prefer to use whole milk yogurt and whole milk when making lassi.
- You can refrigerate it for up to 24 hours.
- Use almond milk yogurt and almond milk to make the lassi vegan.
- You can garnish it with a spoonful of malai (cream), sprinkle some saffron strands (kesar), chopped pistachios, or dried rose petals.
Yes, it is. It is good for the body, and has numerous health benefits. Especially during summers, it helps you to beat the heat. Adjust the sugar to your taste.
Yes, you can refrigerate it upto 24 hours.
Yes, use almond milk yogurt to make it vegan.
Here are some more beverages you might enjoy:
- Mango Lassi
- Strawberry Lassi
- Masala Chai
- Fig Banana Smoothie
- Masala Chaas (Indian Spiced Buttermilk)
Homemade Sweet Lassi
- Add all the ingredients yogurt, chilled water, milk, ice cubes, sugar, and cardamom powder in a blender.
- Blend them until it becomes frothy. Adjust the consistency to your taste by adding water or blend in some ice cubes.
- Pour lassi in serving glasses. Garnish with pistachio/dried rose petals. Keep chilled before serving.
Note: Nutrition values are my best estimates. If you rely on them for your diet, use your preferred nutrition calculator.