You won't believe how easy it is to make this Asparagus Soup in your Instant Pot. It's creamy and full of flavor, and you'll have it ready to serve in less than 20 minutes!
Instant Pot Asparagus Soup is a quick and nutritious soup! An Instant Pot takes so much of the work out of cooking and this soup is no exception. If you love my cream of broccoli soup, you will love this cream of asparagus soup too!
I love to get a large pack of Asparagus from Costco, so we can enjoy it multiple times throughout the week. Lemon Asparagus Pasta, Asparagus Risotto or Roasted Asparagus in the air fryer are our favorites. I also sometimes sauté it with soy sauce and top with sesame seeds. However, one of my favorites is to make this easy asparagus soup. It is easy to make and tastes absolutely delicious with all the fresh asparagus in it.
It's also low carb, so it's a perfect lunch or appetizer if you're doing keto or another low carb diet. With only 7 grams of net carbs per serving, you'll feel great knowing you're not going to go over your recommended carbohydrate limit for the day.
Ingredients in Asparagus Soup
This delicious soup starts with the aromatic flavors of chopped onion and minced garlic sauteed in oil or butter. Add fresh cut stalks of asparagus, veggie broth, and salt, then cook in a pressure cooker to steam the asparagus.
Blending the ingredients creates a rich and smooth consistency that allows the flavors to shine through.
You can toss in other veggies like broccoli, cauliflower, and carrots for additional nutrients and color too.
Tip: If you use butter instead of olive oil, it is best to use unsalted butter so that you can control the amount of salt in the soup.
How to Prepare Asparagus for Soup
- Step 1: Rinse your asparagus under cool water.
- Step 2: Snap off the hard end around the last inch or so at the bottom of the asparagus stalks. You can do this with your hand or a pair of kitchen shears.
- Step 3: Pat the asparagus dry with a clean linen towel or paper towels. Cut the asparagus stalks into two-inch pieces so that they will cook evenly.
How to Make Asparagus Soup
- First, heat the instant pot. Then add the olive oil and chopped onion to the inner pot of your Instant Pot and cook on sauté mode for 2 minutes. Add the garlic and saute for another minute.
- Next, add the prepared asparagus pieces to the pot and sauté for 3-4 minutes until the asparagus is softened.
- Then, add the vegetable broth and salt, then place the lid on your Instant Pot and cook on high pressure for 5 minutes, then allow a natural pressure release for 10 minutes.
- Finally, blend the contents of the pot until the soup has a completely smooth and creamy texture.
Tips for Making Creamy Asparagus Soup
- Be sure to blend well. If this asparagus soup is not thoroughly blended, fibers of the asparagus will remain and create an unpleasant or unpalatable texture.
- Use an immersion blender at high speed or transfer to a Vitamix or other powerful stand blender to get the best consistency.
- Add whipping cream or coconut milk for a smooth and velvety finish.
How to Thicken Soup
This cream of asparagus soup is already quite thick after blending. But if you prefer a soup with a more dense consistency, there are a couple of different things you can do.
- Add potato: Clean, peel, and dice a potato in one-inch pieces. Add the potato pieces to the Instant Pot along with the asparagus pieces before pressure cooking. Blend all of the ingredients together until smooth and thick.
- Add a slurry: Saute butter in a skillet or small pot. Add flour, whisk to make a paste, and cook for a minute. Deglaze with some veggie broth or milk, and simmer for a few minutes until the mixture has thickened. Add the slurry to the soup after blending and stir to combine thoroughly before serving. I do this for my Mushroom Wild Rice Soup and Creamy Broccoli Cheddar Soup.
How to Serve Asparagus Soup
This delicious and aromatic asparagus soup is best served finished with a drizzle of olive oil and some freshly cracked black pepper.
You can also add a squeeze of lemon juice to bring out the flavors in the soup. Add a spoonful of sour cream if you like a cool, creamy topping.
Then, serve and enjoy!
If you plan to meal prep this asparagus soup will stay fresh for 3-4 days in the refrigerator when stored in an air tight container with a lid. You can reheat this creamy Instant Pot soup in your microwave or over low heat on the stove. Heat until just warmed through and be sure to stir well to avoid hot spots.
You can also freeze asparagus soup for up to 3 months. When you're ready to reheat the soup, thaw it in the fridge overnight. Upon reheating, if the consistency of the soup isn't as creamy as before freezing, you can blend it again until the desired texture is reached.
Is asparagus soup healthy?
This creamy Instant Pot asparagus soup is very nutritious! Asparagus is a great source of Vitamin A, Vitamin K, and Folate as well as potassium and calcium. It's also naturally gluten free and vegetarian, and is low in calories, carbohydrates, and saturated fat.
Asparagus soup is a fantastic dish to serve as an appetizer or main dish anytime!
Is asparagus soup vegan?
As long as you use olive oil instead of butter and stick with veggie broth for the soup base, this cream of asparagus soup is vegan.
If you want to add some creaminess to the texture of the soup, you can keep it vegan by using coconut milk or cashew milk, and add potato for thickening.
Other Comforting Instant Pot Soups to Enjoy
- Cauliflower Soup - This creamy cauliflower soup is vegan and so delicious when served with toasty bread on the side.
- Roasted Red Pepper & Carrot Soup - a bright soup that has the perfect combination of bold sweet and savory flavors.
- Mushroom & Wild Rice Soup - a hearty vegetarian soup packed with flavor to warm you up on a cold day.
Instant Pot Asparagus Soup
- Start the instant pot in saute mode and let it heat. Add the olive oil and onion to the inner pot of your pressure cooker and sauté for 2 minutes.
- Add the garlic and sauté for another minute.
- Add the asparagus pieces and sauté for 3-4 minutes until softened.
- Add the veggie broth and salt, and then secure the pressure cooker lid with vent in sealing position. Cook on high pressure for 5 minutes.
- Allow a natural pressure release for 10 minutes. Then release the pressure manually.
- Use an immersion blender on high speed or transfer the soup to a stand blender, such as a Vitamix, and blend until creamy and smooth.
- Drizzle olive oil when serving and garnish with freshly ground black pepper. Add a sprinkle of lemon juice if desired to brighten the flavors of the soup. If you like a creamy topping, add a spoonful of sour cream (skip for vegan).
Note: Nutrition values are my best estimates. If you rely on them for your diet, use your preferred nutrition calculator.