Kheer or Payasam is an Indian favorite dessert for special occasions. It is basically rice pudding made with rice and milk infused with saffron, cardamom and assorted dried fruits.
This Kheer made in the instant pot is a game changer. The best thing about this, no stirring and it is ready in less than 40 mins! Traditionally making kheer meant keeping milk and rice on the stove for 2 hours and stirring it frequently until the milk thickens and becomes creamy. With the Porridge setting in instant pot, the same thing happens, but you just dump all the ingredients and go your happy way to enjoy yourself!
As Diwali is approaching, I have been wanting to make some desserts that we can share with family and friends. Food, or rather desserts are integral part of Indian Diwali celebrations. You visit friends or have them over. But really, everywhere you go, you will find a table full of snacks and desserts laid out for you to enjoy. Oh, I love Diwali (how can a foodie not? 😉
This is going to be my dessert addition to Diwali potluck’s this year!
How to make Kheer in Instant Pot?
This rice pudding is super easy with just adding all ingredients to the instant pot and setting it on porridge mode. The instant pot does it’s magic and perfect aromatic rice kheer is ready for you in 30 mins. If you have not tried kheer in instant pot yet, you just have to!
Here is a short 1-minute video of how you can make rice kheer in the instant pot.
I hope you enjoy this easy and delicious rice pudding. Do share how it turned out!
An Indian favorite dessert for special occasions - Rice pudding made with rice and milk infused with saffron, cardamom and assorted dried fruits.
- 5 cups Milk whole
- 1/2 cup White Rice preferably small or medium grain, rinsed
- 1/2 cup Sugar (adjust to taste)
- 1/4 cup Roasted Mixed Nuts chopped or sliced (cashews, almonds, walnut, pistachios) (optional)
- 1 tbsp Raisins (optional)
- 1 tsp Cardamom or Elaichi powder (optional)
- 1/8 tsp Saffron or Kesar (optional)
Add everything in the instant pot. Close lid with vent in sealing position.
Set instant pot to PORRIDGE mode for 20 minutes. When instant pot beeps, let the pressure release naturally.
Open Instant Pot and mix well. Rice pudding is ready. Serve warm or chilled.
If needed, to get the desired consistency, cook on SAUTE mode for 2-3 mins. Or add more milk, mix and let it boil for a minute.
- Sanitize the instant pot thoroughly - the steel insert, lid and sealing ring. If you have an extra sealing ring for sweet foods, use it.
- If you don't have already roasted nuts. Add 1 tbsp of ghee in the instant pot and saute the nuts for about a minute. Then follow the recipe.
- When kheer is stored, it gets thicker and creamier. If you prefer, you can thin the consistency by adding more milk.
- This recipe was created in a 6qt Instant Pot DUO60 Multi-use Pressure Cooker. I do not recommend making this in a 3qt or doubling the recipe in a 6qt, as the milk boils and can come out.
- Add cinnamon powder and vanilla essence to get a different flavor.
- You can use brown sugar instead of white sugar, based on your preference.
Note: Nutrition values are my best estimates. If you rely on them for your diet, use your preferred nutrition calculator.
Pin it for later:
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links, which means I can earn a small commission if you purchase through the link at no additional cost to you. Thank you for your support!