Oats Kheer also known as Oats payasam is a delicious twist of using oats in Indian dessert recipes. Sweetened oatmeal with cardamom, nuts and raisins, this healthy breakfast or dessert can be cooked in a pressure cooker or on the stovetop within minutes.
Oats Kheer is a healthier version of the traditional rice kheer, but with the same rich and creamy taste. I have cooked this scrumptious dessert using Quaker rolled oats, but you can use other store-bought brands too. You can serve the oats payasam warm or chilled. It makes up for a wholesome breakfast or a perfect dessert after dinner.
I will share the steps to make these Oats garnished with cardamom, saffron, nuts and raisins in the instant pot, and also on the stovetop.
I usually try to include oats in our everyday meals as they iare more nutritious, yet easy to make. If you like adding fruits and nuts to oatmeal, do try my banana walnut oatmeal.
What is Kheer?
A quintessential Indian dessert, Kheer is a go-to dish in the Indian subcontinent for almost all occasions and festivals. It is basically rice pudding cooked with milk, rice and infused with the flavors of saffron, cardamom and topped with nuts like cashew or pistachios.
Growing up, Kheer was a staple dessert dish in my home. My mother used to make it for every festival, occasion or when we wanted something sweet.
Why use Oats to make Kheer?
Oats is healthier than rice and have many benefits when compared to traditional rice kheer.
- They are gluten-free whole grains
- Oats are filled with antioxidants, vitamins, and minerals
- They are a good source of carbohydrates and fiber
- They help in weight loss and in controlling blood sugar levels
- Oats also have a low glycemic index
Oats, when cooked, turn quite mushy and give a thick, creamy texture. I have used rolled oats to make this dish. You can also cook this dish using steel-cut oats too.
How to make Instant Pot Oats Kheer?
Usually, cooking Kheer involves constant stirring of the milk and rice. But when cooking the oats kheer in the instant pot all you need to do is dump-and-go and enjoy a break. But, ensure that you roast the oats well before adding all the other ingredients. Also, sanitize the Instant pot thoroughly before getting started on the oats kheer.
- Set the Instant pot to Sauté setting and add ghee. Once melted, add rolled oats to the instant pot.
- Stir and sauté them well, till you get aroma of roasted oats.
- Add the remaining ingredients - milk, water, saffron, and cardamom.
- Close the lid securely and cook for a minute in high pressure. Let the pressure release naturally.
- Garnish the kheer with nuts and raisins and serve it warm or chilled.
How long to cook rolled oats in instant pot?
Rolled oats cook very quickly under pressure. I like to just cook them on high pressure for 1 minute and they are the perfect consistency.
Can this Kheer be made with steel cut oats in the instant pot?
Yes! You can follow the same process and cook on high pressure for 4 minutes, followed by a natural pressure release.
How to make Oats Kheer on stovetop?
Just like instant pot, stovetop oats kheer can be made within 20-25 minutes as opposed to the longer cooking time for the traditional rice kheer. The initial prep work of this oats kheer is keeping ingredients ready along with chopped dry fruits of your choice.
- Heat a heavy bottom pan and add ghee.
- Stir the rolled oats and sauté them well till you get a faint aroma.
- Add whole milk to the mixture and stir thoroughly.
- Simmer on a low flame and cook till the oats become soft and mushy.
- Once the oats and milk have reached the desired consistency, add the chopped dried nuts along with a pinch of saffron along with cardamom.
- Simmer for a few more seconds and then switch off the stovetop.
Tips to make perfect Oats Kheer
- Whether you are making this yummy and healthy oats kheer in instant pot or stovetop, don't let it boil too much as the kheer thickens a lot as it cools.
- You can add more milk to adjust the consistency before serving.
- If you are following a vegan diet, then substitute the whole milk with almond milk or another plant-based milk.
Do try this delicious and healthy recipe and let me know in the comments below!
Oats Kheer (Sweetened Oatmeal with Cardamom, Nuts & Raisins)
In Instant Pot
- Sanitize the instant pot thoroughly by cleaning all the parts.
- Heat the instant pot in saute mode. Add ghee and let it melt.
- Add rolled oats. Stir and saute for 2 minutes until to get the aroma of roasted oats.
- Add milk, water, sugar, saffron and cardamom. Press Cancel and close the lid with vent in sealing position.
- Set to manual or pressure cook mode at high pressure for 1 minute. When the cooking time is done, then let the pressure release naturally.
- Open the lid and stir the kheer. This kheer thickens as it cools.
- Garnish with more saffron, nuts and raisins to your liking. This Oats Kheer is delicious served hot or chilled.
- Heat a heavy bottom pan on medium heat. Add ghee to it and let it melt.
- Add the rolled oats and sauté them well till you get the aroma of roasted oats.
- Add water and whole milk to the pan and stir well.
- Simmer on a low flame and cook till the oats become soft and mushy. Keep stirring at regular intervals.
- Once the oats have reached the desired consistency, add the cardamom and roasted nuts along with a pinch of saffron.
- Simmer for 2 more minutes and then switch off the stovetop.
- Enjoy the Oats Kheer.
Note: Nutrition values are my best estimates. If you rely on them for your diet, use your preferred nutrition calculator.
Other Indian Desserts you might enjoy: