Stay warm with this healthy Vegetarian Taco Soup made in a pressure cooker. This hearty soup is a dump-and-go recipe with lots of black beans, corn, peppers, and tomatoes to create a delicious, satisfying dinner.
What could be a better dinner on a weeknight than a hearty dump-and-go soup? Really, nothing better than this Mexican-inspired Vegetarian Taco Soup. This soup can be easily made vegan by skipping a few toppings.
With all the wonderful ingredients, this is a very nutritious soup. It’s packed with fiber, protein, and carbohydrates with a low glycemic index. Also, this one-pot recipe in a pressure cooker means less hassle and cleanup. Perfect for busy fall schedules!
This soup is also great for meal prep similar to my Hearty Brown Lentil Soup, Vegetarian Quinoa Chili & Minestrone Soup. It does not get boring to eat multiple times as you can jazz up this soup with a variety of toppings. I have included various options so everyone can pick and choose what they like. Create a topping bar and get the kids or your guests interested in creating their favorite soup bowls.
How to Make Vegetarian Taco Soup in a Pressure Cooker?
This taco soup is made with basic ingredients in your kitchen: canned black beans, frozen corn, and canned diced tomatoes. I always have some veggies in the refrigerator that can be added to the soup, such as bell peppers and onions.
This is an easy dump-and-go taco soup recipe. Add the ingredients to the pot in order, and you don’t even need to stir them.
I used canned black beans in this recipe, however, you can also pre-cook black beans in the pressure cooker and then use them in this recipe.
Set your pressure cooker to pressure cook for 6 minutes and then let the pressure release naturally.
I used store-bought taco seasoning in this recipe, however, check the recipe notes for using basic spices in place of taco seasoning.
Look at that ladleful of goodness. Pretty darn good for no prep at all!
Now comes my favorite part: the toppings!
Here are some ideas:
- Shredded cheddar cheese or Mexican blend.
- Sliced or cut avocado
- Diced red onions
- A dollop of sour cream or plain Greek yogurt (or vegan coconut yogurt)
- Tortilla chips to get the extra crunch
- Sliced jalapeños for the extra heat
Create a topping bar and let family or friends pick and choose the toppings. They will love it!
How to store Taco Soup?
This Taco Soup will last for about 4 days in the refrigerator. You can also freeze it in small portions in airtight containers. When ready to eat, reheat in the microwave or on the stove.
How to Make Vegetarian Taco Soup in the Slow Cooker?
Just add all the ingredients to the slow cooker and give it a good stir. Cook on the low setting for 8 to 10 hours. If you’re in a hurry, you can also set this on high for 3-4 hours.
Why you will love this Vegetarian Taco Soup!
- Vegetarian & gluten-free (or vegan if you skip a few toppings)
- Easy one-pot recipe
- Dump and go
- Healthy with all the wonderful ingredients
- Lots of options with toppings
- Perfect for meal prep or entertaining
Try this delicious homemade Taco Soup and let me know how you like it!
You will also love these delicious vegetarian Mexican recipes:
- Healthy Vegetarian Rice & Beans Casserole – Easy to make and filled with cheesy goodness along with brown rice and lots of veggies.
- Fajita Pasta – Fire-roasted tomatoes, black beans, colorful bell peppers, sour cream, and cheese make this a healthier pasta dish.
- Creamy Avocado Cilantro Dip – It takes just 5 minutes to make this sauce and is perfect on tacos, burgers, salads, or just as a side with chips and vegetables.
- Pineapple Mango Salsa – This sweet, spicy Pineapple Mango Salsa is so refreshing & flavorful.
Instant Pot Vegetarian Taco Soup
- 1 tablespoon Olive Oil
- 1 cup Yellow onion, diced
- 3 cloves Garlic , minced
- 1 can Diced Tomatoes, 14.5oz
- 1 can Black beans, rinsed and drained, about 1.25 cups
- 1.5 cup Corn, frozen
- 1 cup Red Bell Pepper, diced
- 1 cup Green Bell Pepper, diced
- 1 Jalapeno, finely diced
- 3 tablespoon Taco seasoning, (see notes for options)
- 1/2 teaspoon Salt , adjust to taste
- 2.5 cup Vegetable Broth
- 1/4 cup Cilantro leaves, chopped, to garnish
- Avocado, sliced or cut into small pieces
- Cheddar Cheese, shredded (skip for vegan or use vegan cheese)
- Sour cream, (skip for vegan or use vegan greek yogurt)
- Tortilla chips , (skip for gluten-free)
- Red onion , diced
- Jalapeno, sliced
- Lime wedges
- Add all the ingredients to your pressure cooker in this order: oil, onion, garlic, tomatoes, black beans, corn, red bell peppers, green bell peppers, jalapeño, taco seasoning, salt, and vegetable broth. Do not stir.
- Close lid with vent in sealing position. Set on pressure cook mode for 6 minutes at high pressure.
- When the pressure cooker beeps, let the pressure release naturally (NPR). Open the lid. Taste and adjust salt if needed. Garnish with cilantro leaves.
- Serve with any of the optional toppings you like!
1 tsp paprika
2 tsp cumin
1 tsp oregano
1/2 tsp salt