How to Boil or Steam Potatoes in the Instant Pot? This is part of the Instant Pot Cooking Basics series. Potatoes are perfect for steaming in a pressure cooker, and it takes less than 30 minutes to get perfectly cooked potatoes. I use boiled potatoes in many dishes, such as potato peas curry and spiced mashed potatoes.
I had always boiled potatoes in my stovetop pressure cooker. However, it did need some monitoring. With the instant pot, just set the time and do a natural pressure release, while I can do other chores.
Having pre-boiled potatoes at hand is great for meal planning. I can then use them as needed to make quick meals. Some interesting Indian dishes you can make with boiled potatoes:
- Mumbai Vada Pav, which is a popular Indian-style burger.
- Savory Potato Puffs – This is similar to the paneer puffs I have shared. Just use boiled potatoes in place of paneer.
How to Steam Potatoes in the Instant Pot?
It is as easy as it gets. Just place the potatoes on a trivet. Add some water to the pot. Hit the Steam button. Adjust the time based on the size of the potatoes. It usually takes between 8 to 15 minutes, depending on the size of the potatoes. For potatoes about 7 oz in weight, I steamed for 10 minutes. If potatoes are about 9 oz, then steam for 12 minutes. You get the idea!
Can I steam potatoes without a trivet?
If you want to boil potatoes while cooking something else in the main pot, then I suggest to use the mode needed for what you are cooking in the main pot. The Steam function works best when food is being steamed on a trivet. It increases the temperature inside the pot very fast, as it does not expect to have any food directly in contact with the bottom of the pot.
How to steam small baby potatoes in the instant pot?
For baby potatoes, I prefer to use a steamer basket. Add water to the instant pot steel insert. Place the steamer basket with baby potatoes in the instant pot insert. Pressure cook at high pressure for 5 minutes, then let the pressure release naturally.
How to steam diced potatoes in the instant pot?
For diced russet potatoes about 1 inch in size, pressure cook for 3 minutes when using a steamer basket. If you are cooking them in the main pot, just 1 minute on pressure cook mode will be enough.
Try these easy steamed potatoes and don’t forget to share how you used them!
Check out other instant pot cooking basics:
How to Boil Potatoes in Instant Pot?
- 4 Russet Potatoes, about 7oz each
- 1 cup Water
- Clean potatoes with water. Add 1 cup water in the instant pot steel insert. Place trivet and place potatoes on top of the trivet. Close lid with vent in sealing position.
- Pressure cook on Steam mode at high pressure for 10 mins. (see notes for cooking time variation)
- When the instant pot beeps, let the pressure release naturally. If in a hurry, you can release pressure 10 minutes after the beep.
- Remove the potatoes from the instant pot to stop additional cooking.
- Adjust time between 8-15 mins depending on size of potatoes. For example, if the potatoes are about 9 oz each, then steam for 12 mins.
- The cooking time remains the same even if you increase or decrease the quantity of potatoes, however the size of the potatoes affects the cooking time as mentioned in previous note.