Super easy Instant Pot Steamed Carrots ready in less than 15 minutes. This is a great side to enjoy with some rice or protein.
This post is following the Amazing Steamed Broccoli I shared some time back. I got lots of requests for steamed carrots recipe. This is the basic recipe, where you can season to your choice.
Why steam veggies in the Instant Pot:
- Dump and go, take care of other chores.
- Perfectly cooked each time (if you know the cooking time 😊)
Once you start using your instant pot, I am sure you will not cook carrots any other way. They are so easy and hands-free.
Why Carrots and Why Steamed Carrots?
Carrots are cultivated all around the world and are easily available all year round. They are nutritious and not to forget, budget friendly. Carrots are rich in anti-oxidants, vitamins and dietary fiber. They are only about 41 calories per 4oz, with a negligible amount of fat and no cholesterol.
Carrots are also an exceptionally rich source of carotenes and vitamin-A. The traditional orange colored carrots get their bright color from beta-carotene, an antioxidant that is converted to vitamin A in the body.
Carrots are about 10% carbs, consisting of starch, fiber and simple sugars. They rank low on the glycemic index scale.
The nutrition information for carrots is reason enough to eat them. Not to forget they are delicious too!
Cooking carrots is healthier, as cooking makes the beta carotene more easily available. However prolonged cooking can lead to loss of vitamins. Hence it is recommended to quick steam carrots.
Ready to enjoy some carrots 🥕
How to pressure cook Baby Carrots in the Instant Pot?
The best way to steam carrots in the Pressure Cooker is by using a Steamer Basket. I just found a steamer basket in my kitchen which fit perfectly in the instant pot, so I did not purchase one. However if you are looking to purchase a steamer rack, here is a recommended one on Amazon.
Add a cup of water to the instant pot insert and place the steamer basket in the insert. If you are using baby carrots, they are already cut into the perfect size, just add them in. If using whole carrots, slice them up in 2-inch chunks.
I prefer to steam the carrots for 2 minutes at high pressure, followed by a quick release. This timing gives fork tender carrots. If you like softer carrots, increase cooking time by a minute.
If the carrots are too thin, they may fall apart. So adjust cooking time depending on the thickness of the carrots.
Season with salt and pepper, and serve as a side with rice or protein.
How to pressure cook Whole Carrots in the Instant Pot?
For whole carrots, the time will depend on the thickness of the carrots. If they are thin, I would suggest 3 minutes on Steam mode. Increase cooking time depending on the thickness.
Do I have to use a Steamer Basket? Can the carrots be steamed directly in the Instant Pot steel insert?
You can absolutely steam the carrots in the instant pot steel insert directly. I just prefer this method as it means less cleaning effort. I also find the carrots don’t get overcooked in the steamer basket, which means better and more consistent results.
I would love to hear how you like these steamed carrots.
Want to make these Steamed Carrots fancy? Here is a Garlic & Herb Butter Carrots recipe.
- Recipe posted 1 year ago: Beet & Rice Pilaf
- Recipe posted 6 months ago: 4-ingredient Applesauce
- Recipe posted 3 months ago: Perfect 1-minute Quinoa
★ DID YOU TRY THIS RECIPE? Don’t forget to give a ★ rating. Just click on the stars in the Recipe Card to rate!
Amazing Instant Pot Steamed Carrots Recipe
- Add water to the instant pot insert. Place the steamer basket in the instant pot insert.
- Spread the carrots on the steamer basket. Close lid with vent in sealing position.
- Start the instant pot and set it on Steam mode for 2 minutes on high pressure. (Note: if you like softer carrots, increase cooking time to 3 minutes)
- When the instant pot beeps, quick release the pressure manually. Remove the steamer basket carefully as it is hot.
- Season with salt, pepper and enjoy.
- Cooking time will remain the same, even if you double or triple the quantity.
- For whole carrots, the time will depend on the thickness of the carrots. If they are thin, I would suggest 3 minutes on Steam mode. Increase cooking time depending on the thickness.
Note: Nutrition values are my best estimates. If you rely on them for your diet, use your preferred nutrition calculator.
Pin it for later: