Methi Chicken, also called Murgh Methi, is a flavorful, healthy chicken curry with the unique flavor of fresh fenugreek leaves. This simple chicken curry is easy to make and a comforting weeknight dinner everyone will love!
We love to add greens to weeknight curries. Spinach and Methi leaves are great for this reason. They work perfectly in any curry or dal and don’t take long to cook.
This Methi Chicken is easy to make in just 30 minutes and is a delicious, healthy meal the whole family will enjoy. I hope you give it a try!
Table of Contents
What is Methi Chicken?
Methi Chicken is a popular Indian dish that combines tender chicken pieces with fenugreek leaves, also known as methi. Combining the succulent chicken and the slightly bitter and earthy taste of the fenugreek leaves creates a unique and flavorful experience.
Why You’ll Love This Methi Chicken Curry?
- It is easy to make in just 30 minutes.
- The mix of herbs and spices in this recipe makes for a tasty and unique dish that will blow your mind.
- It can be made ahead of time and reheated for convenience.
- It is packed with healthy ingredients – rich in protein and fiber.
Ingredients for Methi Chicken
- Boneless Chicken Thighs: Choose tender boneless chicken thighs cut into bite-sized pieces.
- Mustard Oil: You can use mustard oil for a traditional touch, but any vegetable oil works, too.
- Ghee: Gives a rich and buttery taste.
- Cumin Seeds: Adds earthy flavor to the dish when sautéed.
- Bay Leaf: Adds aromatic essence to the curry.
- Onion: Gives a sweet and savory flavor.
- Ginger and Garlic: Grated ginger and minced garlic add a delightful zing to the recipe.
- Tomato: Adds a tangy and slightly sweet taste to balance the flavors.
- Green Chili Pepper: Adds a bit of heat and a spicy kick to the dish.
- Methi: Freshly chopped fenugreek leaves are the star ingredient of the curry.
- Yogurt: Adds creaminess and a hint of tanginess to balance the flavors.
- Garam Masala: Garam masala is a blend of warm spices that enrich the curry with a fragrant and slightly spicy taste.
- Lime Juice: Enhances the overall flavor.
- Spices: You’ll need salt, turmeric powder, cumin powder, coriander powder, and Kashmiri red chili powder.
How to Make Methi Chicken?
- Heat a heavy-bottomed pan on medium-high heat. Add oil and let it heat. If using mustard oil, heat it until it smokes.
- Add ghee and let it heat. We are adding ghee along with the oil to add a rich flavor to the final dish.
- Add the bay leaf and cumin seeds. Sauté for about 30 seconds to release their aroma.
- Add chopped onions. You can use red or yellow onions. Sauté for about 6-8 minutes until the onions are golden.
- Add grated ginger and minced garlic, and sauté for another minute.
- Now add the chopped tomatoes, along with the spices.
- Stir well, cover, and cook for 2-3 minutes until the tomatoes soften. Then remove the lid and stir the onion-tomato mixture until the oil leaves the pan’s sides.
- Add the chicken and cook for 3-4 minutes until it turns white on the outside.
- Put the lid on the pan and cook on low heat for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Then, remove the lid.
- Add the chopped methi leaves and mix until they wilt. Cook on medium heat for 5-7 minutes.
- Reduce the heat to low, then add the yogurt. Cook on low heat for around 3 minutes, stirring continuously. It is important to stir continuously until the yogurt has thoroughly mixed with the curry so it does not separate.
- For the finishing touches, add the green chili, garam masala, and lime juice. Taste and adjust the salt.
- Mix everything and cook for another 2-3 minutes.
- Your delicious Methi Chicken is ready. Serve it hot with fresh roti or naan.
Instant Pot Methi Chicken
You can also cook this methi chicken curry in an instant pot.
- Follow the steps until sauteeing the chicken with the curry base of onions and tomatoes.
- Then, add a couple of tablespoons of water and cook on high pressure for 3 minutes.
- Then, quick release the pressure and follow the steps to add the methi leaves and yogurt to the curry. Add the green chili, garam masala, and lime juice. Mix and cook on saute mode for 3-4 minutes.
- Methi Leaves: If available, use fresh methi leaves. However, if it is not the season, you can use frozen methi leaves in this recipe.
- Using Dried Kasoori Methi: The flavor of fresh methi leaves is mild, while that of kasoori methi is very strong. Hence if you want to use dried fenugreek leaves in this recipe, I would suggest using 3 tablespoons instead of the fresh methi leaves in this recipe.
- Wash the Methi: Before chopping the methi leaves, wash them well to remove dirt.
- Chicken: I used boneless chicken thighs in this recipe. Chicken breasts, bone-in chicken, or chicken drumsticks will work well too.
- Adjust spice level: You can adjust the heat by adding more or less chili powder according to your taste.
- Marinate Chicken: I did not marinate the chicken, but if you prefer, you can marinate the chicken with the yogurt and spices specified in the recipe. Then, skip the steps to add those ingredients.
Variations You Can Try
- Methi Malai Chicken: You can add some cream at the end for a richer and creamier Methi Chicken.
- Dairy-free Methi Chicken: Replace ghee with oil and yogurt with coconut milk to make this curry dairy-free, similar to coconut chicken curry.
- Vegetarian version: replace the chicken with paneer or tofu. This will give a delicious alternative for those who do not eat meat.
- Use different greens: You can add spinach instead of methi leaves in this curry to make a Spinach Chicken Curry.
How to Serve?
This dish is great for family dinners or special events.
How to Store & Reheat?
If you have leftovers, store them in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
This curry will also freeze this curry. Let the curry cool down completely and store it in small portions in a freezer-safe container for up to 2 months. Thaw overnight in the refrigerator.
To reheat, warm it in the microwave or on the stovetop. Add a little water if it has dried out.
- 1 pound Boneless Chicken thighs, cut into 2 inch pieces
- 1 1/2 tablespoon Mustard oil, or any vegetable oil
- 1 1/2 tablespoon Ghee
- 1/2 teaspoon Cumin seeds (Jeera)
- 1 Bay leaf
- 2 cup Onion, chopped
- 1/2 tablespoon Ginger, grated
- 1/2 tablespoon Garlic, minced
- 1 cup Tomato, chopped
- 2 Green Chili Pepper, slit in half
- 2 cup Methi (Fenugreek leaves), tightly packed, chopped
- 1/4 cup Yogurt
- 1/2 tsp Garam Masala
- 1/2 Lime juice
- Heat a heavy bottom pan on medium-high heat. Add oil to it, and let it heat. If using mustard oil, heat the oil till it smokes. Then add ghee and let it heat.
- Add the bay leaf and cumin seeds. Sauté for about 30 seconds so they release thier aroma.
- Add chopped onions. Sauté for about 10 minutes until the onions are golden.
- Add ginger and garlic, and sauté for another minute.
- Add tomatoes, spices, and stir well. Cover and cook for 2-3 minutes until the tomatoes soften. Then remove the lid and stir the onion tomato masala. Oil should be leaving the sides of the pan.
- Add chicken and cook for 3-4 minutes until tje chicken pieces are all white on the outside.
- Cover and cook the chicken on low heat for 10 minutes. Stir a few times in between. Then, remove the lid.
- Add methi leaves and mix them until they wilt. Cook on medium heat for 5-7 minutes.
- Change the heat to low, then add the yogurt. Cook on low heat for around 3 minutes while stirring continuously.
- Add green chili peppers, garam masala, and lime juice. Taste and adjust salt. Mix everything together and cook for another 2-3 minutes.
- Methi Chicken is ready. Serve it hot with fresh roti or naan.
Instant Pot Method:
- Follow the instructions to cook the curry base of onions and tomatoes. Then add the chicken and saute for 3-4 minutes until the chicken turns white on the outside.
- Then add 2 tablespoons of water and deglaze the pot, making sure nothing is stuck to the bottom of the pot. Pressure cook for 3 minutes on high pressure. Then, quick release the pressure.
- Then follow the steps to add methi leaves and then yogurt, as in the stovetop recipe. Add green chili peppers, garam masala, and lime juice. Mix everything together and cook on saute mode for 3-4 minutes. Methi Chicken is ready.