Aloo Matar is a quick and easy Indian potatoes and peas curry, made in the Instant Pot or stovetop. This vegan and gluten free Aloo Matar Masala is perfect for a delicious warm weeknight dinner!
This is a simple Indian homestyle recipe, which is made with very basic ingredients that you will always have in your pantry. I always have potatoes and frozen green peas, along with onions and tomatoes which are a must for any Indian cooking. This is my go to quick dinner when I don't have anything specific in mind 🙂
Another popular homestyle dish is Matar Paneer, which is a green peas and paneer curry. Here is a tip, replace potato with paneer in this recipe and it will work perfectly. I have also shared a restaurant style creamy Matar Paneer recipe for the instant pot. If you’re looking for more recipes, you can find all of my Instant Pot Vegetarian Recipes here (this list gets updated often).
What is Aloo Matar?
Aloo means potato and Matar means green peas, hence the name Aloo Matar for this curry. This is a Punjabi Aloo Matar (or Aloo Mutter) recipe with gravy. The gravy is made with onion, tomatoes, ginger and garlic, cooked with basic spices. Aloo Matar can also be made as a dry stir fry, which I will share another time.
How to make Aloo Matar in Instant Pot?
- Start the instant pot in sauté mode and add oil, cumin seeds and green chili pepper. I typically use Thai, Birdeye or Serrano Chili Pepper in my recipes. To make this curry less spicy, you can always skip green chili.
- Then add the chopped onions, ginger, garlic and sauté for 3 minutes.
- Then add chopped tomatoes, spices and sauté for another 2-3 minutes. I just chopped the tomatoes, but you can also puree them to get a smoother gravy.
- Now just add the green peas, potatoes and water. Stir and close the instant pot.
- Pressure cook for 2 minutes on high pressure and then release the pressure 5 minutes after the instant pot beeps (5 minute NPR)
- Add the Garam Masala and garnish with cilantro.
Aloo Matar is ready to be served. So delicious and yet so easy to make!
How to make Aloo Matar on stovetop?
You can make Aloo Matar on stovetop in a pan or a stovetop pressure cooker.
- Heat oil in the pan or pressure cooker. Add oil, cumin seeds and green chili pepper.
- Add the chopped onions and sauté them for 3 minutes.
- Then add chopped tomatoes, spices and sauté for another 2-3 minutes. You can cover with a lid I just chopped the tomatoes, but you can also puree them to get a smoother gravy.
- Add green peas, potato and water.
- For a pan, cover with a lid and cook for about 10-15 minutes on low heat, while stirring frequently. For a stovetop pressure cooker, cook for 2 whistles on medium heat.
- After the cooking time is done, add Garam Masala and garnish with cilantro.
Can I make Aloo Matar without onions & garlic?
Yes! Just skip onions and garlic in this recipe. You can add an extra tomato to compensate for the onions, but it is not necessary.
Can I use prepared Onion Tomato Masala to make this Aloo Matar?
Yes, here is my recipe to make Onion tomato masala for meal prepping. Use half cup of this masala to make this Aloo Matar recipe. Skip adding onion, tomato, ginger and garlic in this recipe and adjust the spices to your taste. If you have frozen masala, then you don't have to thaw it.
Variations for Aloo Matar Curry
- Creamy Aloo Matar: Add cream or coconut milk to make this curry creamy and milder in taste.
- Matar Paneer: Skip potato and add paneer to make Matar Paneer curry. The same cooking time will work.
- Aloo Matar Paneer: Add 1 potato and 1 cup paneer cubes in this recipe. The same cooking time will work.
- Mushroom Matar: Skip potato and add 2 cups sliced mushroom to make Mushroom Matar. Again the same cooking time will work.
You will love this Aloo Matar:
√ It is easy to make.
√ Uses simple ingredients that you will have in your pantry.
√ So quick, it takes just 20 minutes to make.
√ Vegan and Gluten free
Check out vegetarian recipes I have posted in the past:
- Posted 3 months ago – Sooji ka Halwa (Semolina pudding)
- Posted 6 months ago – Potato Curry (Aloo Rasedar)
- Posted one year ago – Mumbai Vada Pav (Potato Fritter Sliders)
Instant Pot Aloo Matar Recipe (Potato & Peas Curry)
- Start the pressure cooker in sauté mode and let it heat. Add oil and cumin seeds. Saute for 30 seconds.
- When the cumin seeds change color, add green chili, onions, ginger and garlic. Sauté for 3 minutes until the onions become golden brown while stirring frequently.
- Add tomato and spices. Stir and let them cook for 2 minutes until the tomatoes are softened. You can optionally cover with a lid.
- Add potatoes, peas and water. Stir and scrape off anything stuck to the bottom of the pot. Press Cancel and close lid with vent in sealing position.
- Change the instant pot setting to manual or pressure cook mode at high pressure for 2 mins. After the instant pot beeps, let the pressure release naturally for 5 minutes, then quick release the pressure manually.
- Open the pot. Sprinkle Garam Masala and mix with the curry.
- Garnish with cilantro. Serve aloo matar with roti, naan or rice.
- Follow the same steps as above. For cooking in a pan on stovetop, cover with a lid and cook for about 10-15 minutes on low heat, while stirring frequently. For a stovetop pressure cooker, cook for 2 whistles on medium heat.
Note: Nutrition values are my best estimates. If you rely on them for your diet, use your preferred nutrition calculator.