Egg bhurji is the Indian twist to scrambled eggs. Packed with the right amount of flavor and spice, these delicious Indian scrambled eggs are perfect for any meal of the day!
This Egg Bhurji needs minimal ingredients that you will always have in the house and is so easy to make, you will get hooked to making it every week!
I love that these indian scrambled eggs can be enjoyed any meal of the day. For breakfast, with bread or for lunch/dinner with roti or dinner rolls (pav in Hindi).
I make this Egg Bhurji whenever I am short on time or don't have much veggies in the refrigerator. My mom was visiting recently and made this delicious scrambled egg curry. My husband love it so much that he said it tastes just like Paneer bhurji. So I quickly took my mom's exact recipe, which I am sharing with you here today!
What is Egg Bhurji?
Egg Bhurji is the spiced Indian version of scrambled eggs. It is also called Anda Bhurji. Anda means egg in Hindi.
It is a quick and easy recipe that can be served with dinner rolls or pav also called Bhurji Pav. Egg Bhurji is a popular breakfast option in India, especially in Mumbai, the place where I grew up. It is served along with toasted bread or pav.
The Parsi dish Akoori or Akuri is very similar to Egg bhurji with some subtle differences. Akuri is filled with many condiments like ginger, garlic, pepper, onion and other spices that make it super hot. Akoori tends to be more moist with the eggs cooked a just a bit less than in the case of the bhurji.
What ingredients to add to Anda Bhurji?
This authentic recipe of egg bhurji curry has the basic ingredients of onions, tomatoes, green chili's and spices. You can also add other veggies like bell peppers, peas and mushrooms to make it more flavorful.
If you do not want to add too much spice, then just skip the green chili and red chili powder when making this Indian scrambled egg curry.
How to make Indian Scrambled Eggs?
Before cooking Egg Bhurji, whisk the eggs in a bowl and set aside. Chop the onions, tomatoes and green chili pepper.
- Heat oil in a large pan and add cumin. Let it sizzle until cumin starts to change color.
- Add the onions and green chili and sauté them well till the onions become golden brown.
- Then add the tomatoes, spices and mix well. Cover the pan with a lid to soften the tomatoes.
- Now add the whisked egg mixture and mix them well with onion and tomatoes.
- Keep stirring the eggs until they are scrambled well. Switch off the heat once they are cooked well.
- Garnish the egg bhurji with cilantro and serve hot with pav, roti or paratha.
How to serve Egg Bhurji?
Egg Bhurji is a great side dish that can be served any meal of the day. We usually have this delicious Egg bhurji curry along with roti or paratha and lentil soup for dinner. If making this spicy indian scrambled eggs for breakfast, we like to have it with toasted bread (pav).
Enjoy this Egg Bhurji for breakfast or a quick easy dinner!
Other Indian breakfast recipes:
- Break the eggs and add to a bowl. Whisk the eggs well and set aside.
- Heat a pan over medium heat and once it’s hot, add oil and cumin seeds. Saute for about 30 seconds until the cumin seeds change color.
- Add onion and green chili pepper. Saute onions for about 5-7 minutes until they become golden brown in color.
- Add tomatoes, spices and mix well. Cover with lid so that the tomatoes soften, for about 2-3 minutes.
- Add the egg mixture and cook for 1-2 minutes, scrambling the eggs until cooked. Keep stirring continuously until cooked. Switch off heat.
- Garnish with cilantro and serve with pav, roti or paratha.
- If using bell peppers or mushrooms, sauté them along with the onions.
- If adding frozen green peas, add them along with the tomatoes.
- If using fresh green peas, pre-cook them.
Note: Nutrition values are my best estimates. If you rely on them for your diet, use your preferred nutrition calculator.